BLQ

BLQ

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Case of You


This song written by Joni Mitchell is by far THE song that at least to me, truly, describes strength and vulnerability all rolled up in one!

I first heard this song in the movie "Practical Magic" with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman back in 1998. "A Case Of You" has such a small part in the movie, at least 30 seconds long. For some reason though, I was captivated by the small clip I heard. I have to admit, this was the very first time I had ever heard of Joni Mitchell. Funny how I came to discover her through a movie.

I then bought the movie's soundtrack in 1999 and kept repeating track #6 over and over and over again! The words were so tender, so heartfelt that everything from her vocals to the words just makes Joni sound calm and collective. I told myself, "Wow, this person whom she loves lives so strongly in her that she feels bitterness and sweetness all at the same time, how can that be?"

Little did I know that a year and a half later, I would find out how bitter and sweet one person would make me feel, and just like Joni described, he was in me like holy wine, tasted so bitter and yet so sweet that I could drink a whole case of him and I would still be on my feet.

Aside from these feelings, I must say that I wasn't prepared to fully understand the "if's, and's, or but's" that come along with sharing and giving a part of you to someone else. Yes, a part of what we tend to do when were so mesmerized with our other half  for some reason is that we become fearless, we tend to just go forth and fight a good fight no matter what the cost, fights, bickering, etc. Yet, when the tough get's rough, we re-think everything we just went through. Why do we do that? Normal is it? Yes.

Whether it's been anywhere from 2 months to 20 years in a relationship, we must understand our own strength and vulnerability and not get tangled in the web of others. In this case for me, I was so scared to show either one because I was so intimidated by what I didn't know about myself. Although, I had to make sure I was going to be OK in the END, when our END came and see the true worth of the "if's, and's, or but's". Were they worth it, oh Yes!

It's ALL worth it, no matter what the outcome, we lived and loved from our hearts!

Joni Mitchell wrote "A Case of You" in 1971, and now in 2011, 40 years later, were still discovering how she felt that very first time : )

No comments:

Post a Comment