BLQ

BLQ

Monday, November 14, 2011

"Today's the Day"

This song is one for the books!!! If you've ever seen the movie, "Enough" with Jennifer Lopez, you will recognize the song in a scene of that movie. It's very touching where the director chose to place it, it's at the right moment in the film. 

The song is called 'Today's the Day" by Aimee Mann, former lead singer of the 80's Pop Group 'Til Tuesday. She has such a melancholic voice, very much like Sarah McLachlan, Joni Mitchell and Carole King. Which is why I've always loved Aimee, she makes you wonder and think..HARD!


"Today's the Day" is a story where it involves CHOICES, where choosing one direction over the other will really make you think twice, especially because of the repercussions that it will involve. It also sounds like there's a secret waiting and bursting to get out in the open, and yet there's the whole, "Well, it wont hurt if no one knows" type of mentality.....very much of a subliminal message hidden in the song.

Choices can either make way for your path to be one of 2 things:

-->What you've always wanted out of LIFE

-->Deter you from your goal in LIFE

Every choice counts, as well as every thought...it can really make a difference. Some choices are better than others, although, whatever choice we tend to make, we know what's coming and what will be the end result if we decide as so.

In my case, I personally chose to lead a LIFE dedicated to my career back when I was 17 years old. Throughout the past 10 years I've had other opportunities where I could've followed fashion design, full time singer, youth ministry, and even, a 9 to 5 everyday job. Each one I was able to experience fully and each and every time I chose to come back to the Hair & Make-Up Industry. I had such a great time diving into those other opportunities, and of course I had my moments of weakness as well, times where I knew people had thrown me under the bus...times where I didn't think I fit in, times where I thought, "What is this? Am I really what I want from me?"

Yet, my heart belonged to helping others discover a new part of themselves that they'd lost somewhere along their path in LIFE...and also, in each opportunity, including fashion design, I had to hide and not mention my personal life, meaning my sexuality...it was hard, I didn't feel truthful to myself...and as it states in the chorus of this song, I started to think:


And isn't it enough for you
Isn't it enough?
Isn't it enough for you
Isn't it enough?
For you...


Not that I like to flaunt that part of me to the world, but to have to make it seem like that part of me doesn't exist?? It couldn't be done. I was a phony trying to be another person...and now that I dedicate myself to my Hair & Make-Up Artistry, I can be ME, without ANY restraints! As a result in my career, I haven't been able to have a stable personal LIFE, but it's OK with me, I made this choice knowing what would become of me in that portion of my LIFE....all in due time right : )


I was able to make my choices, within reason, and had to think that if it deterred me from my goal, I had to make sure I was ready for what was coming my way, though thankfully, I was able to leave a firm standing bridge with each opportunity presented. Each one brought me some of the best mentors I will never forget, I was able to learn so much in such a small amount of time and actually grow from them.  

Choices are there..... present.... ready for you to take a leap!

"Isn't it enough to prove today's the day?"
- "Today's the Day" by Aimee Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment