BLQ

BLQ

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"To get yourself a new life, You've got to give the other one away"

I must have a thing for "Sara's" in this world because I'm addicted to another musician named Sara...Bareilles that is!

She's inspired a few of my other blogs before, and today, she's inspired another one.

Today when I arrived to my hair shift at NBC, As I was blowing hair out for one of my news anchors, Sara came on the Today Show singing one of her songs as promotion for her new album that debuted today called "The Blessed Unrest"

Of course I kept blow drying my news anchor, thankfully I was near finished with the blow drying part and just needed to style her, and as I was doing so, Sara's voice kept soothing us in the background. So much that just now, as I was listening to her new album, a specific song captivated me, aptly titled, "December".



Could be taken as a love song, though my interpretation is that of a person having a rough year, and all the while experiencing the urge of change just as December has set in. Even though it's usually a gloomy weathered month and can be a bit restless on our downtime, it's the month of going out with the 'OLD' and start 'NEW'. Yet December leaves a lasting impression on us being that at one point, we could control it, and there comes a point where we can't anymore. Just as Sara herself states, it's always been a 'problem child'


It's the perfect way to describe what most of us feel around that month. Though it's an important Holiday month, it can add the pressure of becoming one of the toughest months of the year. Change is always upon us at that time, sometime between the 26th-31st. Christmas doesn't seem to linger for some reason, and as soon as the 26th comes along, we're ready to change everything we don't want to be a part of any longer. Although we're looking forward to another year, we have a hard time letting go of the extra baggage that clings on us. We seem to want to bring it along for the ride into the following  era of 'Change'

It unfortunately doesn't work that way. As written and sung in this song, 
 
"Distill a whole year down into a day,
Act like we all start over with a pristine slate,
But to get yourself a new life you've got to give the other one away." 
 
Yet,
 
"And I'm starting to believe in the power of a name
Cause it can't be a mistake if I just call it change."
 
 
It CAN'T be a mistake if we WE just call it CHANGE
Leave the past to what it simply is and look forward to the new and soon to be improved...
should we choose to look at it that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment