BLQ

BLQ

Thursday, April 21, 2011

City

A quick back story about how I discovered this song:


Back in November of 2010 I was at the Claim Jumper in Arcadia, Ca with my sister and brother-in-law and after we had our delicious dinner that night, we were walking out of the restaurant and the hook to this song caught my ears..I heard, "Here in these..deep city lights"...with a soft voice. I wanted to know right then and there who was singing this song..and so in true iPhone fashion, I used my "Shazam" App and I found out it was..."City" by Sara Bareilles.

"City" talks about the surroundings of what really goes on within a big city, in this case, the "City" being Los Angeles. What Sara writes is how shallow and fake people go in and out and up and down this city, she couldn't really trust anyone at that point being that she came from a small town. But just like everyone acclimates sooner or later, she found those she could trust.

I'm originally from L.A. and when I heard this song, I could see where she was coming from. It's a place of not knowing what's around you, being that inside you're a stranger to the BIG unknown. I've been in L.A. all my life and I still discover new people everyday and every week that I'm there. Some shallow, some fake, some money hungry, some starving for stardom, and some TRUE and honest people.You just have to pick and choose what's good for you.

At the same time, L.A. has so much to offer you with places like the Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood and Highland, Center Theater Group in Downtown, Olvera Street, Venice Beach and Santa Monica Third Street Promenade, etc. These being some of my ALL time favorite places, I feel so at home and I know I belong.

Does it take time to know you belong? Oh YES! You'll know when your heart goes, "Pitter Patter!" Sara at the end of the song sings, "Could I hold to you?"...I'm sure she found that one person she could hold on to...I did..here in these deep city lights: )

No comments:

Post a Comment